Re: Call for platform testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Luis Amigo <lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es>
Subject: Re: Call for platform testing
Date: 2001-11-28 18:34:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Luis Amigo <lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es> writes:
> again join and geometry(it also failed in postgres 7.1.3)

The join discrepancy is probably an artifact of your local qsort()
behaving slightly differently for equal keys than everyone else's.
Curious that it only affects these few queries, though.

Geometry differences in the low-order digits are par for the course.
I wouldn't even stop to think about it, except that I see that you
are already using a platform-specific geometry comparison file
(geometry-irix.out). Some digging in the CVS logs and mail archives
shows that that file was submitted by Pete Forman in Oct 2000, and
he was using

> Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) : SGI MIPS 8000
>
> Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : IRIX 6.5.5m
>
> PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.1): PostgreSQL-7.1
>
> Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0): MIPSPro 7.3

Not clear at this point if the differences in your results are due to
hardware, library version, or compiler version differences.