Re: Fix for OpenSSL error queue bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, David Zuelke <dz(at)heroku(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fix for OpenSSL error queue bug
Date: 2016-03-24 04:18:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
>> I can produce a back-patchable variant of this if you and Peter E.
>> think this approach is okay.

> Where are we on this?

I'm generally okay with the approach used in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZS0iV1HQ2fqNxvmTZm4+hPLAfH=7LeC4znmFX8az=ARMg@mail.gmail.com
though I have not reviewed that patch in detail.

One minor thought is that maybe it'd be better to do this:

errno = 0;
+ ERR_clear_error();

in the other order, so as not to assume that ERR_clear_error doesn't
set errno. On the other hand, if it does, things are probably hopelessly
broken anyway; so I'm not sure there is any case where this helps.