Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column

From: Brady Mathis <bmathis(at)r-hsoftware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column
Date: 2012-07-30 17:38:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oh! And, I made another observation while cracking away at this: When I connect to the DB using PGAdmin (1.14.3) from a remote workstation as opposed to on the DB server itself, I see the same problem with the empty external_id column when executing "select * from rhs.encounter;".

Could this be a problem with how I have implemented my functions? There are two functions calls actually used to fill the column - I included the complete text of the functions below.

get_valid_xml - ensures that content from pg_largeobject is valid xml
extract_from_extended - uses xmlparse and xpath to get one specific value

Thanks...again!

/* Function to validate xml for xpath use in SQL query */
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(x text)
RETURNS xml AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
PERFORM XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );
RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );
EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN
RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><fields></fields>' );
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(text) OWNER TO postgres;

/* Function to allow extract of fields from _extended */
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rhs.extract_from_extended(field_name text, menu_data_id bigint)
RETURNS text AS
$BODY$
select translate( xpath('//field[(at)name="'||$1||'" and @type="String"]/text()', xmlparse(document ( rhs.get_valid_xml( array_to_string( array(select lo.data from app.menu_data md, pg_catalog.pg_largeobject lo where md.id = $2 and md.xml01 = lo.loid), '') ) )))::text, '{}', '');
$BODY$
LANGUAGE sql VOLATILE
COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION rhs.extract_from_extended(text, bigint) OWNER TO postgres;