Re: docs: outdated reference to recursive expression evaluation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: docs: outdated reference to recursive expression evaluation
Date: 2018-12-08 16:30:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> In confg.sgml, in the section about max_stack_depth, there's this sentence:
> "The safety margin is needed because the stack depth is not checked in
> every routine in the server, but only in key potentially-recursive
> routines such as expression evaluation."

> Since the change in expression evaluation in v10, there's probably a
> better example of recursive routines, but I'm not sure what that would
> be.

We could say "expression compilation" and it'd still be valid. Or just
drop the last four words altogether. I don't think we want to expend the
verbiage to be more precise here, since it's only a tangential point.

BTW, while looking at this I noted that copyfuncs.c has a
check_stack_depth call but outfuncs, readfuncs, equalfuncs don't.
Surely that's not good.