Re: deficiency on delete and update instead rules for views

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: deficiency on delete and update instead rules for views
Date: 2000-11-23 12:38:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 13:22 23/11/00 +0100, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>We lack a syntax that would enable us to write an on update/delete do
instead rule
>that would efficiently map an update/delete to a table that is referenced
by a view.

>Currently the only rule you can implement is one that uses a primary key.
>This has the disadvantage of needing a self join to find the appropriate
rows.

One of the concepts used in other DBs is to have views with row
OIDs/DBKeys: ie. views that have one primary table (but maybe have column
selects, calculations and/or function calls) can still have a real row
underlying each row. This then allows insert, update & delete to work more
easily. Doesn't really help now, but it might be useful in a future release.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \