Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for supporting outer joins in 7.1
Date: 2000-08-27 17:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:38 27/08/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>>> SELECT ... FROM (a cross join b) cross join c
>> I'm not sure whether the above is the syntax you plan to use, but it looks
>> a little too much like:
>> SELECT ... FROM (select * from a cross join b) as z cross join c
>> which has a quite different meaning to any kind of outer join,
>
>Huh? AFAIK they mean exactly the same thing, modulo a few issues about
>visibility of columns. In any case you'll have to take your complaint
>to ISO, because that's what the spec says the syntaxes are.

Sorry, I should have written:

SELECT ... FROM (select * from a,b) as z, c

which does not do an outer join, and does not imply any ordering.

>> I don;t think that support for this kind of query is implemented,
>
>Not yet, but it's certainly on the TODO list. I'm not seriously
>thinking about getting subselect-in-FROM done in this go-round,
>though.

Great! If by Subselect-in-from you mean something like what I wrote above,
then it is a major win.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_