Re: pg_dump, libdump, dump API, & backend again

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump, libdump, dump API, & backend again
Date: 2000-07-26 00:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 22:41 25/07/00 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>Philip Warner writes:
>
>> >* order
>>
>> This is an issue for the client. I am not proposing a
>> 'Dump_The_Entire_Datbase' call; just a
>> 'Dump_One_Thing_And_A_List_Of_Dependencies' call.
>
>How? Functions can only return one value reliably.

The API is easy, and in the case of the database, it would take the form of
multiple rows in a result set, or possibly two querues - one returning a
single value (the definition), and the oter returning the dependants in
multiple rows. I guess another option would be to return an array.

>> >* How to resolve circular dependencies?
>>
>> Issue for the client.
>
>Not really. If you have a circular dependency `table --(column default)-->
>function --(reads)--> table' then you need to dump the table differently
>(perhaps leave out the constraint and add it after the function is
>created).

I would expect ALL constraints would be left off the table definition - it
would dump the most basic definition possible, with references to the
constraints appearing in the dependency list. That is why I say it's a
problem for the client. For the purpose of displaying the deinition in
psql, circularity does not matter, and in the case of pg_dump, it actually
wants to separate constraints and the table definition.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \