Re: [GENERAL] Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres

From: Jim Jennis <jhjennis(at)shentel(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [SQL] sql 92 support in postgres
Date: 1999-03-25 22:48:36
Lists: pgsql-general

At 14:59 3/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I second the opinion that postgreSQL implements a very flexible and
>extensive set of SQL functionality.
>
>$2000 is chump change if the application is a mission critical one. The
>Costs of losing the data or downtime of the database easily exceed $2000 (in
>probably the first minutes of downtime). I think in your choice of
>databases this is one of the more important factors to consider. There are
>also many competitors to Oracle too out there which you might want to
>consider...
Yes, it is chump change, and Oracle is not the only answer (although they
would like you to believe it). Informix, DB-2, Sybase, Solid are all good
data bases and also run on Linux.

Competition is wonderful!

Regards,

Jim

FSC - Building Better Information Technology Solutions-
From the Production Floor to the Customer's Door.

Jim Jennis, Technical Director, Commercial Systems
Fuentez Systems Concepts, Inc.
1161Y Winchester Ave.
Martinsburg, WV. 25401 USA.

Phone: +001 (304) 264-2290