Re: [HACKERS] Support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION
Date: 2001-05-29 15:57:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 03:47 PM 5/28/01 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
>> Sorry, looks like this patch has to be rejected because it can not
>> handle table changes.
>
>> > This patch adds support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION argument and
>> > return types.
>
>Does anybody want to suggest how to handle table changes? Does
>anybody want to work with me to make this patch acceptable? Or is
>this functionality of no interest to the Postgres development team?

I don't know about the Postgres development team, but it is of great
interest to the OpenACS project team. We've got hundreds or perhaps
thousands of PL/SQL procs and funcs in our code base that use this
notation and it would be very, very nice if we could use this construct
in our PostgreSQL code base.

I suspect any organization or project attempting to either migrate
from Oracle to Postgres or trying to support both databases (as we
do at OpenACS) will find this very useful.

We're deep in the midst of our rewrite of the Ars Digita code base that
we've inherited so don't have any resources to offer to help solve the
problem.

But we can offer encouragement and appreciation!

http://donb.photo.net.