Re: beta testing version

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Samplonius <tom(at)sdf(dot)com>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-02 22:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 01:52 PM 12/2/00 -0800, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> I doubt that. There is an IB (Interbase) replication option today, but
>you must purchase it. That isn't so bad actually. PostgreSQL looks to be
>going that way too: base functionality is open source, periphial
>companies make money selling extensions.

PostgreSQL, Inc perhaps has that as a game plan. Thus far Great Bridge claims
to be 100% devoted to the Open Source model.

> Besides simple master-slave replication is old news anyhow, and not
>terribly useful. Products like FrontBase (www.frontbase.com) have full
>shared-nothing cluster support too (FrontBase is commerical). Clustering
>is a much better solution for redundancy purposes that replication.

I'm not so much concerned about exactly what PG, Inc is planning to offer
as a proprietary piece - I'm purist enough that I worry about what this
signals for their future direction.

If PG, Inc starts doing proprietary chunks, and Great Bridge remains 100%
dedicated to Open Source, I know who I'll want to succeed and prosper.

http://donb.photo.net.