Re: pg_dumplo, thanks :) (fwd)

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dumplo, thanks :) (fwd)
Date: 2000-04-06 18:50:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 02:06 PM 4/6/00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> In other words something like "to_char(sysdate, 'yyyy-mm-dd')" formats
>> sysdate rather than ignore the formatting characters. Turns out the
>> toolkit we're porting from Oracle almost always uses upper case, but
>> not always and one of our gang just ran into this earlier this morning
>> while porting over one of the toolkit module...
>
>Doesn't the upper/lower affect how the result displays. I think that is
>a cool effect.

Not in Oracle, AFAIK. I'm not enough of an Oracle nerd to know for sure,
actually, I'm helping port this stuff from Oracle so I can avoid using
it! (in particular, paying for it)

In the current PG implementation, lower case strings aren't recognized
as format strings at all, apparently...

>> BTW, I can't begin to tell you how much easier our porting job is due
>> to the existence of to_char...
>
>Great. That is new to 7.0.

Yeah, we know that...actually one of our crew wrote a to_char using
embedded Tcl for 6.5, but having to_char built-in is nice.

> We like ports _from_ Oracle.

Well...you've got about 150 more folks using PG 7.0 beta2 than you
would without it...

http://donb.photo.net.