Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] type coerce problem with lztext
Date: 2000-02-27 21:30:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 04:18 PM 2/27/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> The view v1 is a simple 'SELECT * FROM t1' and t1 is a table
>> of 220 columns with the same names and types as nearly all
>> attributes of the system catalogs. Makes me feel comfortable.
>
>Wow, that's a large number, 64k.

This is the "explosion" in length due to the column aliases now
being inserted into the rule, apparently. The limit on views now
is much more tied to the number of columns in the referenced table(s)
than on the actual complexity of the view's definition per se.

lztext is doing a GREAT job of sweeping this problem under the rug,
so to speak, but it's still there...

http://donb.photo.net.