Re: Documentation improvements for partitioning

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation improvements for partitioning
Date: 2017-02-13 10:57:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/02/13 14:21, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2017/02/10 19:19, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> * The OID inheritance needs work - you shouldn't need to specify a
>> partition needs OIDS if the parent has it already.
>
> That sounds right. It's better to keep the behavior same as for regular
> inheritance. Will post a patch to get rid of the unnecessary check.
>
> FWIW, the check was added to prevent the command from succeeding in the
> case where WITHOUT OIDS has been specified for a partition and the parent
> partitioned table has the OID column. Regular inheritance simply
> *overrides* the WITHOUT OIDS specification, which might be seen as surprising.

0001 of the attached patches takes care of this.

>> * There's no tab completion, which prevents people from testing this
>> (maybe better now with some docs)
>
> Will post a patch as well.

...and 0002 for this.

>> * ERROR: no partition of relation "measurement_year_month" found for row
>> DETAIL: Failing row contains (2016-12-02, 1, 1).
>> should not return the whole row, just the partition keys
>
> I think that makes sense. Something along the lines of
> BuildIndexValueDescription() for partition keys will be necessary. Will
> post a patch.

Let me spend a bit more time on this one.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Inherit-OID-system-column-automatically-for-partitio.patch text/x-diff 4.9 KB
0002-Tab-completion-for-the-new-partitioning-syntax.patch text/x-diff 4.3 KB