Re: HOT patch - version 15

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Florian Pflug" <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date: 2007-09-10 19:52:00
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 9/11/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Right. My point is that pruning only modifies item pointers. It does
> not change the actual heap tuples. In the quote above, how is Heikki's
> "quick pruning" different from the pruning you are describing?

I think the only difference is that the quick pruning does not mark
intermediate tuples ~LP_USED and hence we may avoid WAL logging.

Btw, I am not too enthusiastic about quick pruning because it leaves
behind dead heap-only tuples which are not reachable from any root
heap tuples. Not that we can't handle them, but I am worried about
making such changes right now unless we are sure about the benefits.
We can always tune and tweak in 8.4

Thanks,
Pavan

--