Re: HOT Patch - Ready for review

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HOT Patch - Ready for review
Date: 2007-04-20 07:57:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 4/19/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> What's the purpose of the "HeapScanHintPagePrune" mechanism in index
> builds? I lost track of the discussion on create index, is the it
> necessary for correctness?

Its not required strictly for correctness, but it helps us prune the
HOT-chains
while index building. During index build, if we skip a tuple which is
RECENTLY_DEAD, existing transactions can not use the index for queries.
Pruning the HOT-chains reduces the possibility of finding such tuples
while building the index.

A comment in IndexBuildHeapScan explaining
> why it's done would be nice.

I would do that.

In any case a PG_TRY/CATCH block should be
> used to make sure it's turned off after an unsuccessful index build.

Oh thanks. Would do that too

I would wait for other review comments before submitting a fresh patch.
I hope thats ok.

Thanks,
Pavan