4/17/08 - Rails & PostgreSQL, Last night's meeting wrapup

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgresql PDX_Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 4/17/08 - Rails & PostgreSQL, Last night's meeting wrapup
Date: 2008-04-18 16:41:26
Lists: pdxpug

Thanks everyone who came out for the meeting! Next meeting on our
schedule will be about Python and PostgreSQL, courtesy of Jason
Kirtland.

We had a terrific turnout, and four new people. One of the FreeGeek
folks came and talked with me after the meeting about how he had
changed the database that FreeGeek uses from MySQL to PostgreSQL a
while back.

We had two people from InnoTech attend that had also seen my 5-minute
schpeale. One had already planned on coming (Hi Mike!), but I take
credit for getting Craig interested! The other new person, Ed, works
with Mike on Rails application development.

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

PDXPUG PgDay before OSCON is happening! We have some volunteers to
help organize it, I'm setting up a mailing list. Those who
volunteered, expect some email this weekend about kicking things off.

PostgreSQL Conference East was a total success! ~100 people,

MEETING DETAILS:

David's presentation was both an introduction to Rails development,
and a tutorial on getting Rails to work with PostgreSQL. Some of his
examples came directly from his work on I Want Sandy
(www.iwantsandy.com), a web-based product that uses PostgreSQL.

There was intense discussion of drivers with thank-yous to Jeff Davis
for adopting the Ruby PostgreSQL driver. There were useful, detailed
examples of how to create data migrations and develop queries for
Rails. There was a lot of monkey patching.

I enjoyed this talk so much. You can find audio of David's
presentation of this talk at PostgreSQL Conference West here:
http://www.postgresqlconference.org/fall2007_audio/RoR_Essentials.mp3

David is going to pass the updated slides on to me, and I'll post them
on http://pugs.postgresq.org/pdx

Mark also brought the T2000 that was donated to the new Performance
Lab that Mark is setting up. He's working with Joshua Drake on getting
the machine racked and set up to run tests! Gabrielle used her
serial-fu to help him get the machine booted and running.

Many of us retired to the Lucky Lab for refreshments.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us