Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX

From: OpenMacNews <OpenMacNews(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX
Date: 2005-04-13 17:42:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

> Are you sure you recompiled _all_ pgadmin files - if you just run configure
> and specify a different wx-config, the build system doesn't realize it
> has to rebuild everything. I had some unresolved symbols when switching
> from wx 2.5.4 to 2.5.5, and they went away after doing "make clean; make"

i always do either make clean/distclean

but in these cases i've been re dl'ing into fresh dirs to be sure ...

>> i'm trying the wxMac 2.5.5 release at the moment ...
> Be sure to include fix by "Stefan Csomor":

<snip>

OK

> Well, pgadmin needs to know how to start and stop postgres -
> on osx - so we at least need to know the "servicename".
> Of course this can be made configureable - but if there
> was a "official way" for these things on osx, we could
> save some config options.

Well, the 'official way' is to use the StartupItem script in
/Library/StartupItems for 3rd party, and/or /System/Library/StartupItems for
Apple-installed ...

I simply don't recall if PGSql installs one automatically ... I don't think so
-- as I write my own and use in independent of the Apple hierarchy.

that said, its as 'easy' as "(path to)/startup_script start" or "(path
to)/startup_script start"

the script can be named anything, and controls postmaster/pg_ctl directly.

if you like, i can post my script ...

>> are you thinking of simply using a LaunchServices assignment (i.e.,
>> using the GetInfo dialog's "Open with ..." facility?)
> Kind of... see my other post in this thread - we'd need a way to remeber
> the connection this sql was used in, or a way for the use to specify that.

ah. my mistake.

i thought your were just worrying about getting the editable-query to open in a
selectable query editor ...

i see that you're talking about launching a query.

what i've done on occassion is simply write a shell-script and wrap it with a
finder-dubl-clickable wrapper ...

not "production quality", tho ...

>>> ad 3): This is a bug in configure - but I still don't know how to
>>> fix/workaround this.
>> do you have a thread reference for the particular problem, or a breif
>> description?
> See my other mail in this thread.

ok.

>> I've had no apparent issue linking/building against my external SSL
>> build; however, i haven't gotten as far as testing function ...
> Have you checked wether you actually got ssl support - I can link
> against a ssl-enabled libpq just fine - but the pgadmin configure
> doesn't detect the ssl-support, and disabled ssl-support for pgadmin.

i will as soon as i beat my build problems ... suddenly i've now got unresolved
symbol issues all over the place. argh.

richard