Apple switched to BSDtar from GNUtar with Leopard

From: Don Fox <donfox1(at)mac(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Apple switched to BSDtar from GNUtar with Leopard
Date: 2009-10-31 21:44:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

A little research shows that Apple modified tGNUtar o be resource fork
aware and, I guess, did the same with BSDtar! Maybe this points to the
problem. Certainly there is nothing wrong with the tar files on the
site!

curl http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4.1/
postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz -O
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time
Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent
Left Speed
119 239 119 239 0 0 716 0 --:--:-- --:--:--
--:--:-- 1448

gnutar -zvxf postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
gnutar: Child returned status 1
gnutar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

bsdtar -zvxf postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz
bsdtar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

I'm not sure what to do if I need a fresh copy of the src. ?
Fortunatly I did get an tar file from SourceForge, about a week ago,
that seems to behave normally.

Don