Re: FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL

From: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
To: aspire420(at)hotpop(dot)com
Cc: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FoxPro Vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-12-15 17:29:03
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

> What I want is some support from this good community to give me some
> 1. Tips
> 2. Links
> 3. Advise
> for FoxPro and its limits (As could be told to a layman) as how to
> crush my competitor for M$ tools,
> Its time to prove The M$ Guys that they have $$$$$ Power and we the
> GNU people have a
> social perspective of doing work.

This may be better posted on a Pg advocacy list, but anyway...

Problems with FoxPro:
1. It corrupts itself frequently. Table indexes, database indexes,
memory files, all tend to get corrupted.
2. Stupid, arbitrary limits on things like string lengths.
3. It's an ancient, dying system that few people know very well.

The first reason will probably be the most important to your customers.
People don't like having to call the computer guy every week or two
when an index gets currupted.

Good luck,
Jeremy