Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering

From: Simone Aiken <saiken(at)ulfheim(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date: 2011-01-18 06:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Followup on System Table Index clustering ToDo -

It looks like to implement this I need to do the following:

1 - Add statements to indexing.h to cluster the selected indexes.
A do-nothing define at the top to suppress warnings and then
lines below for perl to parse out.

#define DECLARE_CLUSTER_INDEX(table,index) ...
( add the defines under the index declarations ).

2 - Alter genbki.pl to produce the appropriate statements in
postgres.bki when it reads the new lines in indexing.h.
Will hold them in memory until the end of the file so they
will come in after 'Build Indices' is called.

CLUSTER tablename USING indexname

3 - Initdb will pipe the commands in postgres.bki to the
postgres executable running in --boot mode. Code
will need to be added to bootparse.y to recognize
this new command and resolve it into a call to

cluster_rel( tabOID, indOID, 0, 0, -1, -1 );

Speak now before I learn Bison ... actually I should probably
learn Bison anyway. After ProC other pre-compilation languages
can't be that bad.

Sound all right?

Thanks,

-Simone Aiken