Re: CommitFest status/management

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitFest status/management
Date: 2009-12-01 14:35:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Robert acknowledged the need for a "claimed by committer" field in the
>> fest application, but he hasn't got round to it yet.

> Sorry I haven't gotten around to this. Beyond being a little burned
> out a little bit, I have been a little bit under the weather and a
> little occupied with life apart from PostgreSQL, as if there were such
> a thing. Anyway, one of the concerns I have about this is that adding
> another field to the commitfest_view page seems as though it will
> create some layout issues - the leftmost column will get squished. I
> could (a) go ahead and do it anyway or (b) do it, but modify the
> layout in some unspecified way so that it doesn't impact the format as
> much or of course (c) not do it. Any thoughts?

I would be satisfied if there were a "claimed by" field in the per-patch
detail page, which is where you'd have to go to set it anyway. If you
want you could add an additional status value "claimed by committer"
so it'd be visible in the main page.

> It would also like to clarify the use case for this a little bit more.

It's to keep committers from treading on each others' toes. Right now,
if say Andrew is working over a patch with intent to commit, there's no
visibility of that fact in the fest status.

I would imagine that a patch should not normally get into this state
until it's been marked "ready for committer" by the reviewer. Except
perhaps in cases where the reviewer and committer are the same person.