Re: Add option --drop-cascade for pg_dump/restore

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Wu Haotian <whtsky(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add option --drop-cascade for pg_dump/restore
Date: 2021-07-16 14:00:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/16/21 9:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:16 PM Wu Haotian <whtsky(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I may not understand it correctly, are you saying
>>> pg_dump will include the cascade option only for plain format, or
>>> pg_dump will enable the cascade option for plain by default?
>> pg_dump support plain, custom, tar and directory format, I think,
>> cascade option will be added by pg_dump only for plain format and for
>> the other format pg_restore will include the cascade option. Should we
>> document this somewhere?
> That would require pg_restore to try to edit the DROP commands during
> restore, which sounds horribly fragile. I'm inclined to think that
> supporting this option only during initial dump is safer.

Maybe, but that would push back the time when you would need to decide
you needed this quite a lot. We could also have pg_dump stash a copy of
the CASCADE variant in the TOC that could be used by pg_restore if
required. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble and extra space though.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan