Re: [HACKERS] Stale porting list?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Stale porting list?
Date: 1998-12-29 17:19:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

"Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> If anyone has news or success on the following ports, please let us/me
> know and I'll update the list. Machines which have no reports are likely
> to be listed as unsupported for v6.5 :(

> SunOS (4.1.4?)
> Is non-Solaris SunOS defunct?

I tested 6.4 on SunOS 4.1.4 and it more or less worked --- no int8
support, and a number of regression tests show differences traceable
to SunOS's atol() failing to report integer overflow. Stephen Kogge
has been looking into whether it's possible to get rid of those problems
by using pieces of GNU libc, but I dunno whether it's really worth the
trouble.

I did see a more serious problem, a backend coredump in the "opr_sanity"
test. That's been reported on at least one other platform (cf. message
from Keith Parks on the hackers list, 14-Dec), so I think it may be an
actual portability bug in the 6.4 code. I do not have the time or
expertise to track it down though.