Re: Index (re)-creation speed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Lane <slane(at)moyergroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index (re)-creation speed
Date: 2004-02-06 14:50:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Steve Lane <slane(at)moyergroup(dot)com> writes:
> And still, none of this explains to me why the index on id_item drove the
> COPY cost up so apparently dramatically. I tried the COPY again both with
> and without that one index and in both cases it caused COPY to go from 5 to
> 40+ seconds.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, particularly seeing that
id_item seems to be an intermediate case as far as uniqueness goes.
Do you still get 30+ seconds to COPY if that is the *only* index?

If the data you're using isn't too sensitive, would you mind sending me
a copy (off-list)? I'm interested to try profiling this behavior.