Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-21 19:03:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> I would like to propose a new border setting.

That code is horrendously overcomplicated and unreadable already :-(
I'm not too eager to add more variants to it.

> The reason for this is to allow the output to be fed directly into any
> system using Restructured text as described in
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html.

Is that *really* going to work? What about quoting/escaping
conventions?

Also, how many of those "any systems" actually exist? Markup
conventions are a dime a dozen.

On the whole I think it ought to be sufficient to support XML output
for people who want easily-machine-readable query output.