Re: readline library not found

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "G(dot) J(dot) Walsh" <gjwalsh(at)dscdirectionalservices(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: readline library not found
Date: 2007-10-26 00:24:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

"G. J. Walsh" <gjwalsh(at)dscdirectionalservices(dot)com> writes:
> So, following Tom Lanes' suggestion, I read through the 1300+ lines of
> the config.log and found this:

> configure:6651 checking for -lreadline
> /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandriva-linux-gnu/4.2.2/../../../libreadline.so:
> undefined reference to 'PC' 'tgetflag''tgetext' etc etc ...

This is expected, actually. readline normally depends on another
library or two, typically termcap or ncurses. If you look further down
you should see configure trying a few combinations of libraries.
On a Linux system I'd expect -lreadline -ltermcap to be the right
magic incantation; maybe you are missing termcap, or maybe Mandriva
uses some weird nonstandard support library. Try looking into the
documentation for the readline package to see if you can find out what.