Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shruthi Gowda <gowdashru(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sadhuprasad Patro <b(dot)sadhu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date: 2022-04-20 18:34:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 2:20 AM Shruthi Gowda <gowdashru(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Agree. In the latest patch, the template0 and postgres OIDs are fixed
>> to unused manually assigned OIDs 4 and 5 respectively. These OIDs are
>> no more listed as unused OIDs.

> Thanks. Committed with a few more cosmetic changes.

I happened to take a closer look at this patch today, and I'm pretty
unhappy with the way that the assignment of those OIDs was managed.
There are two big problems:

1. IsPinnedObject() will now report that template0 and postgres are
pinned. This seems not to prevent one from dropping them (I guess
dropdb() doesn't consult IsPinnedObject), but it would probably bollix
any pg_shdepend management that should happen for them.

2. The Catalog.pm infrastructure knows nothing about these OIDs.
While the unused_oids script was hack-n-slashed to claim that the
OIDs are used, other scripts won't know about them; for example
duplicate_oids won't report conflicts if someone tries to reuse
those OIDs.

The attached draft patch attempts to improve this situation.
It reserves these OIDs, and creates the associated macros, through
the normal BKI infrastructure by adding entries in pg_database.dat.
We have to delete those rows again during initdb, which is slightly
ugly but surely no more so than initdb's other direct manipulations
of pg_database.

There are a few loose ends:

* I'm a bit inclined to simplify IsPinnedObject by just teaching
it that *no* entries of pg_database are pinned, which would correspond
to the evident lack of enforcement in dropdb(). Can anyone see a
reason why we might pin some database in future?

* I had to set up the additional pg_database entries with nonzero
datfrozenxid to avoid an assertion failure during initdb's first VACUUM.
(That VACUUM will overwrite template1's datfrozenxid before computing
the global minimum frozen XID, but not these others; and it doesn't like
finding that the minimum is zero.) This feels klugy. An alternative is
to delete the extra pg_database rows before that VACUUM, which would
mean taking those deletes out of make_template0 and make_postgres and
putting them somewhere seemingly unrelated, so that's a bit crufty too.
Anybody have a preference?

* The new macro names seem ill-chosen. Template0ObjectId is spelled
randomly differently from the longstanding TemplateDbOid, and surely
PostgresObjectId is about as vague a name as could possibly have
been thought of (please name an object that it couldn't apply to).
I'm a little inclined to rename TemplateDbOid to Template1DbOid and
use Template0DbOid and PostgresDbOid for the others, but I didn't pull
that trigger here.

Comments?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-assignment-of-initdb-database-OIDs.patch text/x-diff 7.5 KB