Re: BUG #2119: FOREIGN KEY ON DELETE RESTRICT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Fred Perni " <perniss(at)zks-gmbh(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2119: FOREIGN KEY ON DELETE RESTRICT
Date: 2005-12-20 15:18:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Fred Perni" <perniss(at)zks-gmbh(dot)de> writes:
> If I delete a dataset from p_kto then is also delete the referenced sets in
> depot.
> Normaly the RESTRICT should prevents deletion. Or?

Works for me:
regression=# delete from p_kto where kto_id = 101;
ERROR: update or delete on "p_kto" violates foreign key constraint "c_dkt_kto_id" on "depot"
DETAIL: Key (kto_id)=(101) is still referenced from table "depot".

I think you've not told us the full truth about your tables. The quoted
definitions are syntactically wrong (missing commas) and semantically
wrong (kto_id has no UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY constraint, therefore can't
be the target of a foreign key reference). I think you stripped out
everything you thought was irrelevant, including the actual source of
the problem --- maybe there is another constraint that is ON DELETE
CASCADE, and it happens to get processed first?