Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 14:44:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Of course the theory being that we backport "some" features and fix
>> any bugs that we find?

> Not saying that if someone submit'd patches to v7.3, they wouldn't get
> applied ... only that, to date, the work/effort has been greater then the
> overall benefit, and nobody has step'd up to the plate to do it ...

The idea of backporting features scares me; I really doubt that you can
get enough beta-testing on a back branch to be confident that you
haven't broken anything with a feature addition. In any case you'd be
quite limited in what you could do without forcing an initdb.

Another issue is that people expect dot-releases to be absolutely rock
solid. If you start introducing new features then you considerably
increase the risk of introducing new bugs. (I'm still embarrassed about
7.3.3's failure-to-start bug...)

Our past practice has been to back-port only bug fixes, and only
critical or low-risk ones at that. I think this could be done in a more
thorough fashion, and it could be continued longer than we've done in
the past, but you shouldn't set the scope of the maintenance effort any
wider than that.