Re: incompatible return type for netmask(inet) function between 7.0.3 and 7.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pvi(at)axxent(dot)ca
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: incompatible return type for netmask(inet) function between 7.0.3 and 7.1
Date: 2001-04-25 16:02:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Vadim I. Passynkov" <pvi(at)axxent(dot)ca> writes:
> I ask now about why logical same functions host(inet) and netmask(inet)
> return different types ?

There was a *long* discussion about this last year, and we concluded
that was the right thing to do. See the mail archives if you want the
details --- but the key point is that host() text() and abbrev() are
primarily useful to allow non-default display formatting of inet/cidr
values, so they should produce text. If they produced another inet
value then they'd be unable to control how that value got formatted
for display.