Version Numbering

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Version Numbering
Date: 2010-08-20 18:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

A while ago, I asked if .0 releases could be versioned with three digits instead of two. That is, it would be "8.4.0" instead of "8.4". This is to make the format consistent with maintenance releases ("8.4.1", etc.). I thought this was generally agreed upon, but maybe not, because I just went to build the latest 9.0 beta and saw that the version number is "9.0beta4".

Would it be possible to *always* use three integers? So the next release would be "9.0.0beta5" or "9.0.0rc1"? In addition to being more consistent, it also means that PostgreSQL would be adhering to Semantic Versioning (http://semver.org/), which is a very simple format that's internally consistent. I'm planning to require semantic versioning for PGXN, and it'd be nice if the core could do the same thing (it will make it nicer for specifying dependencies on core contrib modules, for example).

Thanks,

David