Re: Bug in create operator and/or initdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in create operator and/or initdb
Date: 2005-01-30 03:07:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

"John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> In that case may I suggest fixing the catalog so network_* functions exists for both datatypes!

Redesigning the inet/cidr distinction is on the to-do list (though I'm
afraid not very high on the list). ISTM it should either be one type
with a distinguishing bit in the runtime representation, or two types
with no such bit needed. Having both is a schizophrenic design. It's
led directly to bugs in the past, and I think there are still some
corner cases that act oddly (see the archives).