Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
Date: 2005-01-29 00:39:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, what about using, ALL and NEW? i.e.

> GRANT SELECT ON NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
> GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN public TO phpuser;

That seems good to me. More generally it would be

GRANT perm [,...] ON NEW/ALL TABLES IN schema [,...] TO user [,...]

which leaves us the freedom to later add

GRANT perm [,...] ON NEW/ALL FUNCTIONS IN schema [,...] TO user [,...]

and so on.

> Of course, this assumes that tables named "new" or "all" are not possible ...
> are those reserved?

As long as you aren't allowed to omit the word "TABLES", I think we can
do this without making ALL or NEW any more reserved than they are
already. I haven't actually tried it in bison though.

TABLES (and later FUNCTIONS, etc) isn't a keyword at all right now IIRC,
but as long as we can do this without making it reserved, I think that's
not a big objection.