Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Masahiko Sawada" <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands
Date: 2017-10-03 22:59:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> writes:
> Since get_rel_oids() was altered in 19de0ab2, here is a new version of
> the patch.

I thought it would be a good idea to get this done before walking away
from the commitfest and letting all this info get swapped out of my
head. So I've reviewed and pushed this.

I took out most of the infrastructure you'd put in for constructing
RangeVars for tables not explicitly named on the command line. It
was buggy (eg you can't assume a relcache entry will stick around)
and I don't believe it's necessary. I don't think that warnings
should be issued for any tables not explicitly named.

In any case, though, the extent to which we should add more warning
or log output seems like a fit topic for a new thread and a separate
patch. Let's call this one done.