Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests
Date: 2021-09-28 19:00:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Perhaps having the bloom index messed up answers that, though. I think it should be easy enough to get the path to the heap main table fork and the bloom main index fork for both the primary and standby and do a filesystem comparison as part of the wal test. That would tell us if they differ, and also if the differences are limited to just one or the other.

I think that's probably overkill, and definitely out-of-scope for
contrib/bloom. If we fear that WAL replay is not reproducing the data
accurately, we should be testing for that in some more centralized place.

Anyway, I confirmed my diagnosis by adding a delay in WAL apply
(0001 below); that makes this test fall over spectacularly.
And 0002 fixes it. So I propose to push 0002 as soon as the
v14 release freeze ends.

Should we back-patch 0002? I'm inclined to think so. Should
we then also back-patch enablement of the bloom test? Less
sure about that, but I'd lean to doing so. A test that appears
to be there but isn't actually invoked is pretty misleading.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-break-it.patch text/x-diff 447 bytes
0002-fix-it.patch text/x-diff 757 bytes