Fw: Re: connection refused

From: Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fw: Re: connection refused
Date: 2008-12-16 00:12:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- On Fri, 12/12/08, Bastiaan Olij <lists(at)basenlily(dot)nl> wrote:

> If you are on Mac or
> Linux, are
> the privileges set correctly? On one of our Mac servers we
> it took us
> some time to figure out Postgres was simply ignoring the
> files because
> the privileges where set different then it wanted, even
> though it did
> seem to have access.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Bas

I think the problem is something along these lines. I originally had the authentication method set to "MD5" in pg_hba.conf. I changed it to "trust" (and restarted postgres) just to try to get it working, without success. I happened to reboot the postgres host (linux) and httpd wouldn't start because it couldn't find mod_auth_pgsql.so. I commented out the line in auth_pgsql.conf loading it and apache complained that it needed the ssl passphrase.

I have mod_auth_pgsql.so so I'm going to try to mollify apache with that and see where it leads.

As for Tom's suggestion that the firewall is the problem, I don't think it is, having looked at the IPTables rules. There are essentially no restrictions (the network is behind a firewall). Having said that, I don't know much about IPTables and there were 1 or 2 entries that I definitely didn't understand. I plan to learn IPTables too though.

Thanks for the help,
Bruce Hyatt