VACUUM vs VACUUM ANALYZE vs CLUSTER

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh(at)starjuice(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: VACUUM vs VACUUM ANALYZE vs CLUSTER
Date: 2001-09-19 20:04:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi folks,

Could someone point me at any documentation that explains how VACUUM,
VACUUM ANAYLZE and CLUSTER relate to one another? From my reading of
the PostgreSQL documentation and the FAQ, I am confused on these points:

1) Is VACUUM ANALYZE a complete superset of VACUUM?

2) VACUUM and CLUSTER both affect the arrangement of rows on disk. Does
CLUSTER leave holes behind, and if so is there a run order for VACUUM
and CLUSTER that results in well-packed _and_ well-orderd rows on
disk?

I don't think I need to be spoonfed and am more than willing to read
whole chapters to find my answer, but I'm pretty certain the PostgreSQL
docs (as distributed with 7.1.3) don't resolve this confusion.

My thanks in advance to any who choose to respond.

Ciao,
Sheldon.