Re: tuplesort memory usage: grow_memtuples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: tuplesort memory usage: grow_memtuples
Date: 2013-01-17 06:00:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I took another look at this.

Since Greg S. seems to have lost interest in committing this, I am
picking it up.

> My strategy for preventing overflow is to use a uint64, and to use
> Min()/Max() as appropriate. As Robert mentioned, even a 64-bit integer
> could overflow here, and I account for that.

It seems to me that there's a much more robust way to do this, namely
use float8 arithmetic. Anybody have a problem with this version of
the last-increment branch?

/*
* This will be the last increment of memtupsize. Abandon doubling
* strategy and instead increase as much as we safely can.
*
* To stay within allowedMem, we can't increase memtupsize by more
* than availMem / sizeof(SortTuple) elements. In practice, we want
* to increase it by considerably less, because we need to leave some
* space for the tuples to which the new array slots will refer. We
* assume the new tuples will be about the same size as the tuples
* we've already seen, and thus we can extrapolate from the space
* consumption so far to estimate an appropriate new size for the
* memtuples array. The optimal value might be higher or lower than
* this estimate, but it's hard to know that in advance.
*
* This calculation is definitely safe against enlarging the array so
* much that LACKMEM becomes true, because the memory currently used
* includes the present array; thus, there would be enough allowedMem
* for the new array elements even if no other memory were currently
* used.
*
* We do the arithmetic in float8, because otherwise the product of
* memtupsize and allowedMem would be quite likely to overflow. Any
* inaccuracy in the result should be insignificant, but just for
* paranoia's sake, we bound the result to be 1 to 2 times the
* existing value. (A little algebra shows that grow_ratio must be
* less than 2 here, so except for roundoff error the Min/Max bounds
* should never do anything.)
*
* Note: it might seem that we need to worry about memtupsize * 2
* overflowing an int, but the MaxAllocSize bound applied below will
* ensure that can't happen.
*/
double grow_ratio;

grow_ratio = (double) state->allowedMem / (double) memNowUsed;
newmemtupsize = (int) (memtupsize * grow_ratio);

newmemtupsize = Max(newmemtupsize, memtupsize);
newmemtupsize = Min(newmemtupsize, memtupsize * 2);

/* We won't make any further enlargement attempts */
state->growmemtuples = false;

> I also added a brief note within tuplestore.c to the effect that the
> two buffer sizing strategies are not in sync.

My inclination is to just copy the whole grow_memtuples function into
tuplestore.c too. There's no very good reason why tuplestore should
be stupider than tuplesort about this.