Re: Add support for AT LOCAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, cary huang <hcary328(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add support for AT LOCAL
Date: 2023-10-17 16:45:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Yeah, the same thing occurred to me in the shower this morning, and it
> does seem to work! We can replace both loops with a %= operator, at
> least if we're willing to assume C99 division semantics, which seems
> pretty safe in 2023.

Whoops, no: for negative starting values we'd need truncate-towards-
minus-infinity division whereas C99 specifies truncate-towards-zero.
However, the attached does pass for me on cfarm111 as well as my
usual dev machine.

Presumably this is a pre-existing bug that also appears in back
branches. But in the interests of science I propose that we
back-patch only the test case and see which machine(s) fail it
before back-patching the code change.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-fix-timetz-modulo-ops.patch text/x-diff 2.8 KB