Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary installer)
Date: 2004-01-23 18:02:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> I think there are a couple of things about this issue that have not been
> completely thought out. Moving off of an environment based home
> variable should not be taken lightly. Switching the runtime environment
> variables to use the registry will have several unintended consequences:

I agree that we do not want to start hacking the parts of the code that
depend on environment variables. A reasonable compromise would probably
be to have a small chunk of Windows-specific code at startup that reads
the registry and installs the values it finds there by doing putenv().
Thereafter everything operates the same as on Unix.