pgbench Comparison of 7.4.7 to 8.0.2

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: PgSQL - Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgbench Comparison of 7.4.7 to 8.0.2
Date: 2005-04-15 21:02:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm in the fortunate position of having a newly built database server
that's pre-production. I'm about to run it through the ringer with some
simulations of business data and logic, but I wanted to post the
results of some preliminary pgbench marking.

http://www.sitening.com/pgbench.html

To me, it looks like basic transactional performance is modestly
improved at 8.0 across a variety of metrics. I think this bodes well
for more realistic loads, but I'll be curious to see the results of
some of the simulations.

I've still got a little bit of preparatory time with this box, so I can
continue to do some experimentation.

I'd be curious to see whether these numbers meet developer expectations
and to see whether the developer and user community have insight into
other pgbench options that would be useful to see.

Thanks!

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell