Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?

From: reina_ga(at)hotmail(dot)com (Tony Reina)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Do Petabyte storage solutions exist?
Date: 2004-04-01 17:41:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a database that will hold massive amounts of scientific data.
Potentially, some estimates are that we could get into needing
Petabytes (1,000 Terabytes) of storage.

1. Do off-the-shelf servers exist that will do Petabyte storage?

2. Is it possible for PostgreSQL to segment a database between
multiple servers? (I was looking at a commercial vendor who had a
product that took rarely used data in Oracle databases and migrated
them to another server to keep frequently accessed data more readily
available.)

Thanks.
-Tony