Re: 'default nextval()' loses schema-qualification in dump ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)listes(at)codata(dot)eu>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'default nextval()' loses schema-qualification in dump ?
Date: 2010-07-06 14:22:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)listes(at)codata(dot)eu> writes:
> After some research, we found in psqlODBC's log that before the restore
> psqlODBC was getting the sequence's nextval with a schema qualified
> call, and after the restore the call was not schema qualified.
> I checked in pg_attrdef before and after the dump/restore, and indeed
> the "default nextval()" on this problematic table loses it's schema
> qualification in the process.

This is a pretty inadequate description of your problem. Let's see the
exact SQL you are dealing with.

Note that if the argument of nextval is a plain regclass constant, like
nextval('seq'::regclass)
then the constant is in fact a reference to a specific sequence.
Whether it's displayed with a schema name depends on whether that
sequence is visible in your search_path.