Re: MySQL LAST_INSERT_ID() to Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: Bill <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>, "Masis, Alexander \(US SSA\)" <alexander(dot)masis(at)baesystems(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL LAST_INSERT_ID() to Postgres
Date: 2008-08-29 04:45:20
Lists: pgsql-general

"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> writes:
> On 28/08/2008 22:26, Bill wrote:
>> someone confirm that currval() returns the the value for the connection
>> from which it is called?

> Yes, see here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-sequence.html
> and specifically a little further down the page on "currval":

A general comment on those pages is that the tabular lists of functions
are intended to give one-liner descriptions of what the functions do.
For cases where a one-liner isn't sufficient, there's a sentence or a
paragraph following the table.

I don't find this layout remarkably intuitive myself, but I wonder
whether anyone has a concrete plan for making it better?