Re: BUG #5935: Log lotation not working for default log format

From: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5935: Log lotation not working for default log format
Date: 2011-03-17 20:52:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> You could appending something onto the logfile to differentiate it, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to as that would change the filename format.
>
> If this is the case, the call to pg_rotate_logfile() should return false.

pg_rotate_logfile() doesn't actually rotate the log file, it just schedules the rotation to happen as soon as possible. So it doesn't know whether or not the rotation will actually succeed. pg_rotate_logfile() only returns FALSE if you haven't started the log collector.

> I'd also say that starting up and allowing a file size based rotation with a log filename that does not allow it to be rotated is also broken.

That filename pattern *does* permit rotation, just no more frequently than every 24 hours.

Consider what would happen if you set log_filename to something like pg_log.%H (where %H is replaced with the hour) and your log size exceeded the log_rotation_size within a given hour - same problem.

The key is to pick a filename pattern that *can* rotate given the value you set for log_rotation_size.

It might be nice if the logfile naming mechanism supported a new escape sequence that meant "replace me with the next available sequence number... %n might translate to _1, _2, _3, ...).

-- Korry

P.S. I'm not disagreeing with you, just explaining the code as it exists today.