Re: waiting for lock?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh(at)gnu(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: waiting for lock?
Date: 2000-11-02 21:11:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh(at)gnu(dot)org> writes:
> If you send psql a SIGINT, it returns with:
> NOTICE: Skipping "pg_rules" --- only table owner can VACUUM it
> Cancel request sent
> ERROR: Query cancel requested while waiting lock
> ulsec=>

> Restarting the server (postgresql 7.0.2) cured all.

Hmph. Something quit and left a lock set on some table (whatever
VACUUM would've come to after pg_rules), it looks like. Could be
an artifact of the known bug in 7.0.* that shared memory state isn't
properly cleaned up when a client disconnects in the middle of a
BEGIN block. That's fixed for 7.0.3, if we ever quit arguing and
push it out the door ;-)