Re: Posix Shared Mem patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Posix Shared Mem patch
Date: 2012-06-29 17:28:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The other thing which will avoid the problem for most Mac users is if we
> simply allocate 10% of RAM at initdb as a default. If we do that, then
> 90% of users will never touch Shmem themselves, and not have the
> opportunity to mess up.

If we could do that on *all* platforms, I might be for it, but we only
know how to get that number on some platforms. There's also the issue
of whether we really want to assume that the machine is dedicated to
Postgres, which IMO is an implicit assumption of any default that scales
itself to physical RAM.

For the moment I think we should just allow initdb to scale up a little
bit more than where it is now, perhaps 128MB instead of 32.