Re: ProblemWithCharsOSX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Angel Zúñiga <junior(at)ciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ProblemWithCharsOSX
Date: 2012-08-16 00:37:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

=?ISO-8859-1?B?QW5nZWwgWvrxaWdh?= <junior(at)ciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx> writes:
> I'm a PostgreSQL user in the linux world but at the office there is a Mac
> computer and I have a problem with postgres in it.

> The problem is when I use characters with tildes in spanish like in the
> follow word "pases".
> The next is ilustrates my problem:

> test=# SHOW SERVER_ENCODING;
> server_encoding
> -----------------
> UTF8
> (1 row)

> test=# SELECT pg_client_encoding();
> pg_client_encoding
> --------------------
> UTF8
> (1 row)

> test=# CREATE TABLE pases (nombre VARCHAR(10));
> CREATE TABLE
> test=# \d
> List of relations
> Schema | Name | Type | Owner
> public | pases | table | dragon
> (1 row)

FWIW, I cannot reproduce that as stated on my own Mac. I suspect though
that the problem is not with Postgres per se but with your terminal
window. If you're using Terminal, check the encoding setting in
Preferences ... Settings, and also look at Preferences ... Encodings.
You'll probably have trouble unless Terminal is using the same encoding
that psql thinks the client_encoding is.