Re: Help to dump tables in a database and restore in another database

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Intengu Technologies <sindile(dot)bidla(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help to dump tables in a database and restore in another database
Date: 2010-01-05 11:05:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Intengu Technologies
<sindile(dot)bidla(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Running Windows7 with Postgresql 8.4
>
> I am trying to dump about 132 tables, this is my command:
>
> pg_dump --host localhost --port 5432 --username postgres -o -v -t
> 'myschema.*' dbname > mydump.sql
>
> This generates an error no matching tables were found, is the asterisk
> not a wild card meaning all tables found in the schema named myschema

You probably want to use the '-n' argument to specify the schema name
directly. See the documentation for pg_dump.

> When restoring the tables from the dump will i still have the 132
> tables or 1 table

The database tables will be dumped as is, so you will have pretty much
a copy of your original data (132 tables, if that is the correct
number).