Re: !!! Compress individual tables with postgres

From: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "Shabala Deshpande" <de(dot)shabala(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua Tolley" <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: !!! Compress individual tables with postgres
Date: 2008-10-01 10:21:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Shabala Deshpande <de(dot)shabala(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have read this article. I think it deals with the compresion at the
> individual data field level. I am trying to find out a way for compressing
> individual tables that are generated on daily basis. I dont think so TOAST
> will help for compressing the whole single individual table. please suggest
> if you know any other alternative.

Short of some significant coding, I think your best bet is to buy some
disks. This assumes that you have been vacuuming the database
regularly and that you are not suffering from index bloat. You should
check those two things to make sure. If you really think that you
data are compressible and want to do that (not that I recommend it),
you might look into using a column-based database.

Sean